Join Orchestra Iowa and the African American Museum of Iowa for a free panel discussion on Tuesday, March 7 at 6:00pm, titled Creative Intersections: Encouraging Diversity in Classical Music.
The issue of diversity in classical music has been receiving a great deal of attention the past 5 years, and with Branford Marsalis headlining our season at Orchestra Iowa this year, there was a tremendous opportunity to open this conversation in the Eastern Iowa Corridor.
Our panel will be moderated by Alliant Energy’s Anne Carter. Panelists include:
- Andrea Alert, violist and music educator
- Tim Hankewich, Music Director at Orchestra Iowa
- Jim Hirsch, CEO at Chicago Sinfonietta
- William LaRue Jones, Director of Orchestral Activities at University of Iowa
- Damani Phillips, Assistant Professor of Music and African American Studies, University of Iowa
I hope you can join us on Tuesday, March 7 at 6:00pm at the African American Museum of Iowa to help spur a robust conversation on this important topic for our region.